Care of Piston Valves
Oiling piston valves
The following procedures should be completed before and after playing the instrument:
- Remove the upper screw cap (13) of the valve casing (14) and carefully pull the valve (12) out. Take care not to turn the valve (12) while removing.
- Evenly distribute 2-3 drops of Miraphone piston valve oil onto the valve.
- Re-insert the valve and screw the valve cap (13) back on.
- Be sure to line the valve (12) up straight before inserting it into the outer casing (14).
- Work the valves up and down rapidly to evenly distribute the oil over the surface.
- Oil the valves again after playing. This protects the valve from oxydation and prolongs the life of the instrument.
Monthly cleaning of piston valves and valve casings (14)
Remove debris on the valves with a non-abrasive cloth (D).
Carefully wrap the cleaning rod (C) with the cleaning cloth (D) making sure that no metal is exposed.
Remove any dirt from inside the inner valve casing (14).